A tenant was burnt to death yesterday while a landlord’s son was injured during a morning inferno, which gutted a house at a two storey building the Somolu area of Lagos State.
The fire, which ravaged a story-building, started about 1 a.m. from the first floor, where the landlord’s son’s apartment is located.
The landlord’s son, Abiola, was said to have lit a candle and fell asleep. Unfortunately, the candle fell on the rug in his apartment.
The rug caught fire which spread to other apartments. The tenant, identified simply as Al-Wajud, was said to be drunk before going to bed and thus, was deep in his sleep when the fire started. He died before he could be rushed to the hospital.
The incident, which happened at House 4, Akinrinlo Street, threw occupants and members of the community into mourning.
One of the victims, who identified himself simply as Adebolawe, said: “We were sleeping about 1 a.m. when we heard a loud sound from the roof of the building. “Immediately we heard the sound, every tenant in the house rushed out only to see the flame on the roof of the building.
We started running around, looking for water to put out the fire. While we were looking for water, my wife was struggling to rescue the children and to salvage some of our property. Unfortunately, we couldn’t bring out anything. The fire consumed everything.”
Another victim, Mr. Akeem Ismaila, said:
“The fire destroyed all I have labored for in life. It was a terrible situation; right now, I don’t know where to start from.
Even my wife’s money, which she was supposed to use to stock her shop, was burnt to ashes. My children wouldn’t be able to go to school as their uniform and school materials were all burnt.
“Government should come to our aid. This is not the first time the building would go up in flames; two years ago, the building caught fire but was later rebuilt. This is another fire.” Firefighters were said to have arrived the scene about 3 a.m. after the fire had burnt down the whole building.
Have a story to tell, or images to share on a breaking news story? Send them to Shakarasquare WhatsApp or call