Emerging reports have claimed that Boko Haram insurgents ambushed Nigerian soldiers in the northeast of the country, killing at least five and injuring more than a dozen.
Reuters reports that sources on Sunday, July 7, said the death toll could increase as a number of soldiers were still missing after the attack on Thursday, July 4, in Damboa, in Borno state.
Legit.ng gathered that the general commanding officer, Brigadier General Bulama Biu, confirmed a confrontation between troops and Boko Haram, but said there was “no casualty on the part of troops.”
Three military sources and three fighters with armed vigilante group Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) said the bodies of five soldiers had been recovered, and that 16 fighters, including 14 soldiers and two civilians, were injured. The sources said multiple fighters were still missing.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that the COAS, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai, said the insurgent group has been defeated by the nation’s military.
Buratai added that the group will never come again as Boko Haram’, saying that what is currently going on in the northeast is a part of the ISWAP.
He said the presence of the ISWAP is the attempt by some groups to explore the break down of law and order to carry out criminal acts in neighbouring countries.