Customs arrests one suspect, pledges to unmask importers LAGOS—BARELY three months after the interception of over 600 arms on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, the Tin-Can Island Command of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, yesterday, intercepted another 20-foot container laden with 440 guns of various sizes and designs.
Disclosing this to newsmen in Lagos, Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs, Monday Abueh, said the offensive cargo was shipped from Turkey, adding that a suspect had been arrested in connection with the arms import. Abueh said: “Right in my hand is a sample of pump action of various designs.
Based on intelligence report, this command identified the container and the container was intercepted even before declaration. “On opening the container, we discovered that they used POP powder to conceal the importation but based on intelligence report, we were able to know that the container was laden with arms. The particulars of the consignee are still being kept under wraps for security reason.” The consignment, according to the Zonal Co-ordinator of Zone ‘Á’ of Customs, was declared as white cement to cover up the illicit import. Consignment discovered at bonded terminal Vanguard gathered that the container with number PONU 210024, was discovered at the Zenith bonded terminal on Monday, from where it was moved to the command’s enforcement unit, yesterday. Abueh said the seizure was based on intelligence reports, adding that investigation into how the consignment got into the country and who was behind the import was ongoing.
The arms include 100 pieces of Black Tornado single barrel rifles; 75 pieces of silver magnum single barrel rifles; 50 pieces of alter pump action rifles; 215 pieces of black single barrel rifles; and 164 pieces of rifle nozzles.
Others are 103 pieces of arms grips; 110 pieces of trigger, 113 pieces of arm guard, 107 pieces of bridge block; 122 pieces of Allen keys, 117 pieces of assemble butt and 516 (50kg) bags of POP powder. Speaking on the development, the command’s spokesman, Mr. Uche Ejieseme, said investigation into owners of the consignment would continue, after which the container will be handed over to the relevant authorities. He said further profiling of the importer would be carried out to get more details on previous shipments by the importer. ‘Self-determination groups may be culpable’